- Difficulty Moderate
- Active time 50 minutes
- Total time 2 hours
- Servings 24 portions
- Pork and kimchi filling
- 100 g firm tofu, cut into pieces (4 cm)
- 150 g kimchi
- 2 spring onions/shallots, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 15 g piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 150 g fatty pork mince
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- Dumplings wrappers
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 150 g water
- Place flour, salt and water into mixing bowl and mix 10 sec/speed 4.
- Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, then knead Dough/5 min. Transfer dough onto a clean work surface or silicone bread mat (ThermoMat) and shape into a ball. Wrap in silicone bread mat or cover with a damp kitchen towel and set aside to rest for 30 minutes. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Drain tofu and pat dry with paper towel. Use a tofu press to drain tofu, or line a plate with
3-4 layers of paper towel. Place tofu onto paper towel, then cover with another 4 layers of paper towel. Place a plate or cutting board on top of tofu and top with heavy weights (such as cans or jars). Transfer into refrigerator to drain for 30 minutes.
- Place tofu into mixing bowl and chop 4 sec/Reverse/speed 4. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Place kimchi, spring onions/shallots and ginger into mixing bowl and chop 3-5 sec/speed 7, until finely chopped.
- Add mince, sesame oil, egg, salt and reserved tofu, then combine 10 sec/Reverse/speed 1.5.
- Stir with spatula and transfer into a bowl.
- Roll dumpling dough into a log (approx. 30 cm). Divide into 24 equal portions (approx. 15 g). Working 1 portion at a time, flatten dough with your hand into a disc. Using a rolling pin, roll out into a thin circle (1 mm thickness, 8 cm in diameter).
- Set aside a small bowl of water. Place dough circle into your hand and place 1 heaped tablespoon of filling in the centre. Dip your finger into bowl of water and wet all edges of the dough. Bring up the edges at 3 separate points and pinch together at the top/centre to form a triangle. Press together the open sided to seal the dumpling and ensure there are no air pockets. Cover with a damp kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining dough and filling to form remaining dumplings (makes approx. 24).
- Place a jug onto mixing bowl lid and weigh 120 g water into it.
- Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and add oil. Working in batches, place dumplings into pan flat side down (do not let dumplings touch each other in pan). Press down to flatten base, then cook until golden brown on the bottom (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Add reserved water to the pan, immediately cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes. Remove lid and continue to cook until the base of the pan is dry and the underside of the dumplings are crisp again (approx. 3-4 minutes). Repeat with remaining dumplings and more water. Serve immediately with sauce and garnishes of choice (such as a black vinegar dressing, chilli oil, fresh coriander and toasted black sesame seeds).