- Difficulty Easy
- Active time 10 minutes
- Total time 4 hours 50 minutes
- Servings 8 portions
- Berry coulis
- 200 g fresh raspberries (see Tips)
- 100 g caster sugar
- 20 g lemon juice, freshly squeezed (approx. ½ lemon)
- Summer ice cream cake
- 230 g shortbread biscuits
- 70 g blanched almonds, toasted
- 50 g raw sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300 g pouring (whipping) cream, chilled
- ½ tsp rose water
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 50 g shelled unsalted pistachio nuts
- 100 g green seedless grapes, plus extra for decorating
- 100 g red seedless grapes, plus extra for decorating
- fresh raspberries, for decorating (optional)
- strawberries, for decorating (optional)
- Place all ingredients into mixing bowl and cook 4-6 min/90°C/speed 4, until slightly thickened. Transfer into a small jug and set aside to cool. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a springform cake tin (20 cm) with baking paper and set aside.
- Place shortbread biscuits and almonds into mixing bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 10. Transfer mixture into base of prepared tin then, using the back of a spoon, press down lightly. Bake for 10 minutes (180°C). Leave to cool completely (approx. 30 minutes).
- Insert butterfly whisk. Place sugar and eggs into mixing bowl and cook 6 min/60°C/speed 4. Transfer into a bowl and place into refrigerator to cool (approx. 30 minutes). Clean and dry mixing bowl and butterfly whisk.
- Re-insert butterfly whisk. Place cream and rose water into mixing bowl and whip 10-20 sec/speed 4, until soft peaks form, watching carefully through hole in mixing bowl lid to avoid over-whipping. Transfer cream into chilled reserved custard and using spatula, fold to combine. Add remaining Summer ice cream cake ingredients, excluding fresh raspberries and strawberries, to reserved custard mixture and fold through using spatula.
- Pour custard mixture into reserved cooled base and then pour half of the reserved Berry coulis over custard. Using a wooden skewer, stir berry coulis through custard mixture to create a marble effect. Place into freezer to set for a minimum 4 hours. Once frozen, decorate with raspberries, strawberries and extra grapes. Serve with remaining berry coulis.
Tips & Tricks
- Try making individual cakes using muffin or friand tins.
- Fresh raspberries can be substituted with 200 g frozen raspberries.
small jug, springform cake tin (20 cm), baking paper, bowl, wooden skewer
measuring cup, butterfly whisk, spatula