- Difficulty Hard
- Active time 5 minutes
- Total time 6 hours
- Servings 10 portions
- 330 g white sugar
- 250 g egg whites (approx. 8 eggs), room temperature
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- whipped cream, to serve
- 500 g fresh mixed berries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Place 200 g of the white sugar into mixing bowl and mill 15 sec/speed 9. Transfer icing sugar into a bowl and set aside.
- Place remaining sugar into mixing bowl and mill 15 sec/speed 9. Transfer into bowl with first batch of icing sugar. Thoroughly clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Insert butterfly whisk. Place egg whites and cream of tartar into mixing bowl and whip 5 min/37°C/speed 3.5.
- Mix 5 min/37°C/speed 3, slowly adding reserved icing sugar 1 spoon at a time through hole in mixing bowl lid, until well combined
- Mix 30-40 sec/speed 3, adding vinegar, vanilla extract and cornflour through hole in mixing bowl lid.
- Gently transfer mix onto prepared baking tray and form into a tall disc-like shape. Place into oven, reduce oven temperature to 120°C and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes (120°C). Turn oven off, leaving pavlova in the oven to cool completely (approx. 3 hours or overnight).
- Top with whipped cream and fresh berries to serve.
Tips & Tricks
For best results, ensure you have a thoroughly clean and dry mixing bowl before commencing step 4.
Decorate with any seasonal fruit of your choice (e.g. blueberries, mango, bananas).
To ensure this recipe is gluten free, read the label of your cornflour. Some may contain traces of wheat or gluten.