- Difficulty Easy
- Active time 5 minutes
- Total time 10 minutes
- Servings 6 portions
- 1 lemon, zest only, no white pith
- 60-100 g sugar, to taste
- 30 g cornflour
- 2 eggs
- 500 g milk
- Place lemon zest and sugar into mixing bowl and mill 20 sec/speed 9. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add cornflour, eggs and milk and cook
7 min/90°C/speed 4 or to your desired consistency (see Variations).
- Serve warm or set aside to cool before serving.
Tips & Tricks
Serve custard on its own, with baked desserts or with fresh or poached fruit.
This recipe can be doubled for a larger quantity - you'll need to increase cooking time to 10 minutes in step 2.
To ensure this recipe is gluten free, always check the label of your cornflour as not all brands are gluten free.
- Thicker dessert custard: increase cornflour to 50 g and eggs to 4. Proceed as per recipe.
Thicker custard can be used to fill profiteroles or as a filling in other desserts.
- Chocolate custard: omit lemon zest. Add 20 g cocoa powder and proceed as per recipe.
- Vanilla custard: omit lemon zest. Add 1 tsp natural vanilla extract and proceed as
- Crème pâtissière: replace the cornflour with 50 g plain flour and proceed as per
- Lactose free custard: replace milk with soy milk and proceed as per recipe.