- Difficulty Moderate
- Active time 35 minutes
- Total time 3 hours 55 minutes
- Servings 10 portions
- 200 g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 300 g caster sugar
- 50 g blanched almonds
- 4 eggs ; 2 whole and 2 separated
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 100 g milk
- 150 g frozen blackberries, defrosted
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 300 g pouring (whipping) cream
- 4 tbsp blackberry jam
- 100 g frozen blackberries, defrosted
- pure icing sugar, for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Grease and line 2 round cake tins (20 cm) with baking paper and set aside.
- Place a bowl onto mixing bowl lid and weigh 100 g of the sugar into it, then set aside.
- Place almonds into mixing bowl and mill 8 sec/speed 7.
- Add 2 of the eggs, egg yolks, butter, flour, milk and remaining 200 g sugar and mix 40 sec/speed 4, until creamy.
- Add defrosted blackberries and carefully fold into mixture with aid of spatula. Evenly divide mixture between prepared cake tins, smooth tops with spatula and set aside. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Insert butterfly whisk. Place egg whites and cream of tartar into mixing bowl and whisk 4 min/37°C/speed 4, without measuring cup.
- With butterfly whisk still in place, whisk 4 min/37°C/speed 3, slowly adding reserved sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time through hole in mixing bowl lid, until thick and glossy. Remove butterfly whisk. Carefully spread meringue over the centre of one of the tins with cake batter, leaving a 1 cm border around the edge.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds over meringue. Bake both cakes for 30-40 minutes (140°C) or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of the plain cake comes out clean. Remove plain cake and continue to cook meringue-topped cake for a further 50 minutes (140°C) or until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave cakes in tins to cool completely (approx. 2 hours). Clean and dry mixing bowl and butterfly whisk.
- Insert butterfly whisk. Place cream into mixing bowl and whip 20-30 sec/speed 4 or until soft peaks form, watching carefully to avoid overwhipping. Remove butterfly whisk.
- Place plain cake on a serving plate and spread blackberry jam over it. Spread whipped cream over the jam and decorate with half of the blackberries. Place meringue-topped cake on top of berries. Decorate with icing sugar (optional) and remaining blackberries, then serve.
Tips & Tricks
round cake tin (20 cm), baking paper, bowl, spoon, wooden skewer, serving plate