- Difficulty Easy
- Active time 20 minutes
- Total time 2 hours
- Servings 12 slices
- 150 g butter, room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 250 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250 g almonds
- 250 g raw sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50 g Amaretto® liqueur (optional)
- Chocolate ganache
- 100 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 80 g pouring (whipping) cream
- fresh berries, for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and line a springform cake tin (24 cm) and set aside.
- Place dark chocolate into mixing bowl and grate 10 sec/speed 9. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Place almonds into mixing bowl and chop 6 sec/speed 6. Transfer into the bowl with the chocolate and set aside.
- Place raw sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, cocoa powder and Amaretto® liqueur (optional) into mixing bowl and mix 20 sec/speed 7.
- Add reserved chocolate and almond mixture and combine 30 sec/speed 6.
- Transfer mixture into prepared tin. Bake in centre of the oven for 1 hour (180°C) or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin for 30 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Place dark chocolate into mixing bowl and grate 10 sec/speed 8. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add pouring (whipping) cream and melt 2-3 min/50°C/speed 3.
- Place cooled cake onto serving plate. Spread ganache over the top of cake, allowing it to run over the sides. Garnish with fresh berries (optional) and serve immediately.
Tips & Tricks
- To ensure this recipe is gluten free check the label of your baking powder or make your own (you can find the recipe on Cookidoo®), using the recipe on this recipe chip. Some commercial brands may contain traces of wheat or gluten.
- You can reduce the sugar in this recipe to 150 g if desired.
Variation: Flourless nut cake: substitute almonds with any nuts of choice (e.g. hazelnuts, macadamia nuts) and proceed as per recipe.