- Active time 10 minutes
- Total time 1 hour 30 minutes
- Servings 12 portions
- Mocha eggog
- 6 egg yolks
- 200 g caster sugar
- ½ tsp natural vanilla extract
- 40 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 25 g instant coffee
- 125 g vodka
- 125 g brandy
- Hot cross buns bake
- 6 hot cross buns, cut into slices (2 cm - see Tips)
- unsalted butter, to grease
- 4 eggs
- 100 g pouring (whipping) cream
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- cream or ice cream, to serve
1. Place all Mocha eggnog ingredients into mixing bowl and cook
Thicken/80°C. Place liqueur into a hot-rinsed sealable storage bottle, leaving a few centimeters space at the top, and set aside to cool. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
Hot cross buns bake
2. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a baking dish (24 cm) with butter, then place hot cross buns in the bottom of the dish and set aside.
3. Place all remaining bake ingredients into mixing bowl, then
mix 20 sec/speed 4. Pour over the hot cross buns, making sure they are well covered.
4. Allow the bread to soak for at least 10 minutes (see Tips).
5. Cover the baking dish with foil then bake for 20 minutes (180°C). Remove foil and bake for a further 10-15 minutes (180°C) until golden brown. Serve warm with or cream ice cream.
Tips & Tricks
- You can prepare this dish ahead of time. After step 4, cover baking dish tightly with plastic wrap then place in the freezer for up to 1 month. Remove from the freezer, remove cling wrap and replace with foil before continuing with the recipe. You will need to bake for an additional 5 minutes to ensure it is cooked through.
- This is a thick style of advocaat. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add 150-200 g full cream milk in step 1 and proceed as per recipe.
- You can replace hot cross buns with 6 slices of fruit toast (untoasted), cut into 2 cm slices.
- Cinnamon scrolls: substitute Hot cross buns for left over cinnamon scrolls. At step 2: place only the eggs and eggnog into mixing bowl and mix 20 sec/speed 4, then continue with the recipe.