- Difficulty Easy
- Active time 20 minutes
- Total time 1hour 55 minutes
- Servings 8 portions
- 250 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 60 g white sugar
- 150 g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 40 g cold water
- 100 g dark chocolate chips
- 300 g pecan halves
- 30 g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 80 g white sugar
- 80 g brown sugar
- 50 g pure maple syrup, plus extra for brushing
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- cream or ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Set aside a round, loose-based tart tin (25 cm).
2. Place flour, sugar, butter, egg yolk and water into mixing bowl and mix
10 sec/speed 6. Transfer pastry onto a silicone bread mat or lightly floured work surface and shape into a ball. Wrap pastry in plastic wrap and place into refrigerator for approx. 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll out.
3. Transfer pastry onto a silicone bread mat or lightly floured work surface and roll out into a large, thin circle (5 mm thickness). Line tart tin with pastry, trimming any excess pastry from the edges. Prick base with a fork or pastry docker, then place into refrigerator for 10 minutes to chill. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
4. Line pastry base with baking paper and fill with pie weights, rice or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes (180°C). Carefully remove baking paper with weights, then place back into oven and bake for a further 5 minutes (180°C), until golden. Set pastry case aside. Reduce oven temperature to 170°C.
5. Place a bowl onto mixing bowl lid and weigh chocolate chips into it. Set aside.
6. Place a separate bowl onto mixing bowl lid and weigh 130 g of the pecans into it. Set aside.
7. Place remaining 170 g pecans into mixing bowl and chop 2 sec/speed 5. Transfer into bowl with reserved chocolate chips and set aside.
8. Place butter into mixing bowl and melt 2 min/90°C/speed 1.
9. Add sugars, syrup, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla and mix 10 sec/speed 4.
10. Scatter base of reserved pastry case with reserved chocolate chips and pecans. Pour filling into pastry case, then decoratively arrange reserved pecans halves over filling. Bake for 30 minutes (170°C) or until golden brown and filling is set. While still hot, brush top of pie with extra syrup to glaze. Allow to cool completely, then serve with cream or ice cream.