Let’s have some festive fun in the kitchen this Christmas with our Santa Madeleines and our deer-lightful Reindeer Doughnuts! These cute as fruit mince pie characters are made using simple recipes and a little bit of creative Christmassy flair!
- Using our Rose Gold Madeleine Tray and Rosewater Madeleine recipe, whip up a quick batch of madeleines and leave to cool. Note: You can leave out the rosewater if you prefer.
- Make a batch of Royal Icing and divide into necessary quantities for the amount of colours you’d like to use (we used two colours – red and white). Add natural food colouring of your choice and stir well to combine.
- Transfer your icing into separate piping bags with thin nozzles and decorate your madeleines as desired, using our picture as a guide.
- Allow icing to set for around 20 minutes, before serving, or transfer into a sealable container to store until use.
- Don’t forget to leave a few mini Santas out for the real Santa on Christmas Eve.
- Using our Rose Gold Doughnut Tray and Soft Cinnamon Doughnut recipe, make up a batch of basic doughnuts, skipping the cinnamon sugar steps.
- Going gluten free? This recipe works great with our Gluten Free Flour Mix, or your favourite gluten free flour substitute.
- Make your chocolate coating following the steps below from our recipe The Great Aussie ‘Bite’.
- Place 350g chocolate, broken into pieces, into mixing bowl and grate 10 sec/speed 9.
- Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, then melt 3 min/50C/speed 3 or until chocolate is smooth. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add 30g vegetable oil and mix 10 sec/speed 4 or until combined. Transfer into a large bowl to cool (approx. 20 minutes).
- Carefully dip each doughnut into chocolate, draining off any excess. Place onto a baking tray to set.
- To decorate your reindeers, using our image as a guide:
- Create antlers by breaking pretzels into halves and pushing each half into the top of the doughnuts.
- Make Rudolph-inspired noses by first placing a dark coloured chocolate beanie in the centre of the doughnut and then place a red one on top.
- Use candy eyes, or white lollies and black coloured icing, to give your reindeers doe eyes to see.
If you’re looking for more Christmas ideas, we had a jolly time creating these novelty snowmen doughnuts and sprinkle-dipped madeleines so you’ll be best in snow.
You can find all of the recipes we mentioned at Cookidoo.co.nz